It’s one of my favorite Bible themes to think about.
My understanding of God’s faithfulness has developed into a love for preaching about this resounding theme.
I want to share my favorite verses about God’s faithfulness in order of their Bible appearance. I encourage you to think and thank God for His faithfulness.
I’ll start with four from the Old Testament.
- Deuteronomy 7:9 – “Therefore know that the Lord your God, He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations with those who love Him and keep His commandments.”
Here we learn of His faithfulness as a determined and stubborn-like steadfastness towards blessing His people for their obedience. God is faithful, and He loves to bless His obedient people!
- Psalm 36:5 – “Your mercy, O Lord, is in the heavens; Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.”
David set about describing God’s perfections, but it would have been an incomplete word had he not told of His faithfulness. God is faithful, and you can’t outreach His faithfulness!
- Psalm 119:90 – “Your faithfulness endures to all generations.”
The 176 verse long psalm is all about the excellencies of God’s Word. Yet, even these great truths rest of this fact of His character. God is faithful, and you can’t outlive His faithfulness!
- Lamentations 5:22-24 – “Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I hope in Him!””
This lament got interrupted by the goodness of God. Even in our darkest days, we can rest in this. God is faithful, and you can’t use up His faithfulness!
Let’s go to the New Testament and see how God’s faithfulness shines in this covenant.
- 1 Corinthians 1:9 – “God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.”
The Holy Spirit would address several matters of severe disorder in this local church. But first, at the outset, they are reminded of this primary attribute of God. God is faithful, and everything we have in this new covenant of grace is because of His faithfulness!
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 – “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.“
For all Christ-followers of all time, the faithfulness of God is our source for successfully enduring trials, temptations, and tribulations. God is faithful, and He is your clear landing place to escape temptation!
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 – ” Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.“
His faithfulness is where our complete sanctification is derived. God is faithful, and He will preserve His own all the way to Heaven.
- 2 Timothy 3:13 – “If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself.”
It is so encouraging to realize that God is who He is, regardless of who I am. God is faithful, and He is even when I am not!
- 1 John 1:8-9 – “ If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
What a relief to rest in! The child of God that finds themselves guilty of sinning against His goodness has a true path of restoration. God is faithful, and He will forgive His repentant children!
- Revelation 19:11 – “Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war.”
That faithful elder, John, saw what all of Scripture has revealed to us. This faithfulness of God is a truth that can’t be separated from our victory over evil. God is faithful, and in the end, we win!
There are my 10 favorite verses about the faithfulness of God. I trust you enjoyed thinking about the awe-inspiring goodness of God with me. Any Bible teacher or pastor can take this list and beef it up for a good Bible study lesson or a Sunday sermon. Have at it and smile as you encourage others to rejoice in this fact. God is faithful!
BONUS – did you know that as a growing Christian, God is calling you to faithfulness?! Eventually, God wants your testimony to sound something like this: “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith [or, the faithfulness] of the Son of God who loved me, and gave Himself for me” (Galatians 2:20).
God is calling you to live by the faithfulness of the Son of God who loved us and gave Himself for us.